Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Perfect Peace

This weekend my mind was not in perfect peace...in fact, I had to email multiple people to pray my mind would get into "perfect peace" because I could sense myself drifting into quite the opposite. So, I spent the last couple of days trying to recall that one verse about Peace, and Keeping it, and something about Trust, and the Mind....grrrr, "what was that verse?" I kept thinking.

I also kept thinking about the book Pilgrim's Progress and how Christian has to endure many trials and ordeals. Often times his mind tempts him to doubt, to fear, and to stray. It was always just in the right moment that the Owner of Celestial City rescues Him or delivers Him, or sends someone to help Him. In one situation Christian is locked in the castle of Doubting Castle where Giant Despair beats him every night. Christian is on the verge of losing all hope when he finally looks down at the scroll he has been carrying (on which is written His name in book of Life) since he found the Cross, and he notices a Key stuck in the wax seal. On the key is engraved the word Promise. Christian uses the key to open the doors of the castle and he finally escapes the castle at the last moment! It is very exciting, especially when you read the children's version like I am and there are lots of pictures!

Stick with me here....there is a point.

So, it just struck me that God's promises are the Key to our escape from doubt, fear, anxiety, despair, anger, etc. All these things are the opposite of Perfect Peace. God's promises are in His Word and we are to meditate on them. We are to fix our thoughts on them and memorize them. They are the keys that unlock us from Doubting Castle.

So tying things together here...this last weekend I was not remembering, meditating, or memorizing the Promises of God in His Word. I was not fixed on them. I was not steadfast. So, the Lord brought to mind the random words of a verse heard long, long ago. Last night I found it in my bible I have had since 2nd Grade at St. Peter's Lutheran (it's my favorite - all the pages are coming out).

Isaiah 26:3 - (NIV version is the easiest to memorize!)
"You will keep in Perfect Peace him whose mind is steadfast,
because he trusts in you."

No comments:

Post a Comment