Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Obedience

There are probably many reasons that "obeying" is so hard for kids and adults alike. Obeying, or disobeying, reveals a heart attitude in myself and also unmasks my attitude towards the person whom I am supposed to obey. God requires complete, 100% obedience of the things He calls us to do while pursuing a holy life. To partially obey is in fact disobedience. God wants all of our heart to be submitted unto His will and His plans. It is a trust issue - trusting whether God's ways really are "right" or "profitable".

Do you ever feel like God is asking too much of you? Do you feel like He is asking you to do something you a) have no desire to do b) have no strength to do or c) have no idea HOW to do? Often I think I have an excuse to not FULLY obey God, and instead I just "try" to obey Him, when really I am circumventing full obedience for x, y, and z reasons. God says though in His word that there is blessing in obedience, even when we don't perceive/understand/shortly experience the blessing. He says our obedience is part and partial to our love for Him. So, if I love God why is it so hard to die to myself and confess my lack of faith in His ways? I think it is partly because we do not ASK Him to help us FULLY and THOROUGHLY obey Him. We try to do it in our own wavering strength and resolve, only to be suprised it is too hard. We sort of notice it's hard, we dust ourselves off, nurse our pride, and say, "well, I tried." No, God wants us to pray in full assurance of FAITH that He will help us FULLY obey whatever it is He is asking us to do. He wants to fill us with strength in our most inner-being, even if, and especially when, it hurts. And, He does not promise obedience is easy or painfree despite His power, but He promise grace and mercy for the moment. He is kind.

Right now I have to pray specifically for a greater outpouring of His power to help me fully obey Him by following His leading in my life. I don't know where I am going, I don't know why it is going this way, and sometimes I don't really like it. So, let me tell you, it seem impossible at times. There are some very painful moments in obedience. God is forcing me to exercise spiritual muscles by walking in obedience that I may learn to believe God and to trust God. I think He allows competing desires to exist in order to practically show us that no matter how strong/powerful a competing desire is, God's GRACE can give us an even STRONGER desire to obey Him.

I think that is pretty darn encouraging....just ask Him...

Have you asked Him to help you fully do the thing He wants you to do?
(consistent devos, reconciling a relationship, asking for forgiveness, forgiving someone else, honesty in finances, self control, kick an unhealthy habit, make a decision, etc)

He is able..."now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly than all we think or ask...to Him be the glory in the church forever and ever."

Lastly, remember, "obedience of the heart takes time" (Rob Nash), but "He who has begun a good work WILL BRING IT TO COMPLETION...in the day of the Lord Jesus Christ!"

No comments:

Post a Comment