Sunday, April 26, 2009

"Now I lay me down to sleep..."

I am supposed to be studying right now, but sometimes when I look too long at the computer (taking online tests, reading notes, researching a topic, quizzing, making charts, etc.) I notice that my vision gets blurry and I get red eyes. Gross.

So I will make a list of what I need to study for tomorrow:
- EKGs, EKGs, EKGs,
- Chest xrays/radiographs
- medicine list with generic and trade names
- dermatology slides
- treatment algorithms for cardiac arrest and other cardiac emergencies
- causes and treatments of arrhythmias
- asthma guidelines
- patient education lists
- physical exams in general
- a few more practice tests if possible
- review surgical tool recognition again
- review lab values one more time (especially iron studies and liver function test normal ranges)
- ummm, I am sure this is more :)

Oh yeah, the Bible.

Let me tell you. I would be lost without the Word of God to encourage and nourish my soul when I rise and lay down. I am reading a slightly dry portion of Isaiah right now, but it never ceases to amaze me how God always using some particular verse at some point to speak to me. Somedays if I did not have the Word to fall back on amidst this chaotic/challenging/crazy season of life I would have given up or been even more crabby then I sometimes can be. "It if were not for His grace...." really should mark our thoughts and heart attitudes.

Isn't it nice to know we can just go to sleep in His care? I read this quote once in Elisabeth Elliot's book "keeping a quiet heart" (btw, all time favorite and challenging book!).

"God charges His angels over those who are sleeping; but He himself keeps watch over the sleepless one."

I don't say that to say it's a good thing to stay up worrying or crying or what have you; I am just saying that God is our Great Comforter - oh the pun there is too good!

So, may you rest in His loving care having had your soul calmed and cared for by His Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment