Sunday, February 22, 2009

Do you have a verse?

I was struck this morning, and mostly last night, how the Lord has repeatedly brought a particular verse into my life. It was a theme for my time with Caleb; it has been a theme for my time after our break up; and it has been the theme for my time trying to be faithful to finish the things He has given me to do as I look towards an unknown future.

My verse is Romans 15:13
"May the God of all Hope fill you with all Joy and Peace as you trust in Him, that you may abound with Hope by the power of the Holy Spirit."

There are obvious reasons why this verse has been extremely applicable in my life. I could probably write a book on it. "Joy and peace" mean I am not "bitter and worried". When I look at my life I see many temptations to become "bitter and worried", but I know that those are not the characteristics of a soul that is lovely, quiet, or gentle. And, I am reminded that it is the POWER of the Holy Spirit at work in me that brings about this Hope...and I am fighting/struggling/wrestling/crying out to believe that Hope does not disappoint, because God says it does not. If He is not true and His word is not Truth, and He is not faithful, then what can be? Who or what can be my rock? Prone to wander, LORD, I FEEL it, prone to leave the God (and truth) I love...but take my heart Lord, take and seal it, seal it for Thy courts above. Keep me from falling Lord Jesus.

So, I whisper constant silent prayers these days when I can't think of quite the right verse to remind myself of and I FEEL overwhelmed. I breathe the simple words, "believe", and "do not be anxious"...because I NEED the Peace and Joy that scripture promises me...because I want to be lovely inside, having spent time in the reflection of the Word.

So, I ask you, do you have a verse?

No comments:

Post a Comment