Thursday, September 10, 2009

Holy patients!

I have officially been practicing medicine independently for the past 4 weeks up in North St. Paul. I have REALLY enjoyed my time there thus far; I work with great staff, doctors, and I have great patients. It has gone by quickly and it is amazing how I have jumped from seeing 5-7 patients a day to 18 patients a day. There is much more to being a medical professional however. There are patient phone calls to return, lab results to interpret and communicate to others about, there are imaging study results coming in over fax. There are also medication refills to do, and don't forget the basics of just completing all the notes. But, it is fun, really fun.

My patients are usually pretty interesting, and I have enjoyed getting to know them, take care of their medical needs, and figure out how to get out of room quickly after too long a visit. I have also learned how easy it is to get behind with just one visit going aray. For example, a patient comes in for a cough, and then they have a fever and need an chest x-ray, and by the way their blood pressure is uncontrolled and they might have difficulty urinating...all of a sudden that 15 minute visit turns into 45 minutes. I would thus encourage you to find out how long your visits are actually scheduled for so you don't bring the laundry list for a 15 minute appointment. It's a hard one, Caleb is concerned that patients should get all the care they need in one visit, unfortunately, that's how medicine works :) or doesn't :)

I have seen everything from bruising, to sinus infections, to broken bones, to diabetes care and thyroid disorders, to follow up hospital admission patients, to old ladies and little newborns. It can take 5 minutes, or like today, 1 hour for a sensitive topic discussion with a frustrated patient. I feel prepared most days, but then i have days when i wish i knew more - but apparently that is normal. It's amazing how all that training just comes together.

One thing that has been hard is balancing time when you work 55-60 hours a week (with a commute). It's a challenge to do wedding planning, church involvement, see the family, try to maintain some friendships, and give Caleb a little attention ;) It is challenging to get decent devotions in before going to work and that really bugs me. So, if you remember you can always pray for that. Pray for grace as I plow through many significant transitions with some major responsibilities right now. Caleb and I have enjoyed wedding planning though, well, mostly. He has been a fantastic support only once having to ask for a non-wedding talk night. I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO blessed with his care, protection, love, attention, and prayer. He is so great.

So, there you go....that's a long/bried update. I will keep things more updated after we get the flowers, dj, photographer and bridesmaid dresses picked out. Thanks for the Love! It's quite a journey, what a good God we have.

No comments:

Post a Comment